Foodie Friday: Authentic Bologanese

When I use to live in Astoria, there were wonderful markets where you can get wonderful fresh produce, butchers, and authentic bakeries.

This wonderful elderly Italian women would give me recipes every Saturday when I went to the market.

Her recipe for Bologanese stood out.

1. Take 1/2 lb. each of Veal, Pork, and Beef- season with salt and pepper,
2. Finely chop one onion, 10 cloves of garlic finely chopped, basil and parsley- set aside
3. 5 lbs. of plum tomato's and slowly boil them until a consistency of a sauce with Authentic Imported Olive Oil, she showed a bottle that was 100.00.
4. When the tomato's are bursting or busting she would say, you add in all the basil, parsley, and garlic.
5. Simmer the pot on low heat for another 2 hours, then you "mash" the tomato sauce, until tomato's are finely chopped.
6. In a skillet brown the three meats with onions and red bell peppers, until thoroughly cooked.
7. Constantly stirring the "gravy," I learned that from her as well.
8. I asked if I should "strain" the tomato sauce, she rolled her eyes, she said NO.
9. After the tomato sauce is at a smoother consistency, you ladle the sauce into the meat mixture and stir, and another dash of black pepper.
10. Serve the bolganese over hot al dente pasta, with a great red wine also imported from Italy.

She told me that with the leftover sauce you can refrigerate it for pizza, simple pasta sauce, or add red pepper flakes for lobster fra divalo and  other Italian dishes.

Yes, this dish takes around 4 hours if done correctly.

Cheers to my authentic Italian grandmother whom I met at the market!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 5ive Online Sites

Waterford or Lenox Anyone??

Men's Grooming : Luxury