Summer Slim Down 2015: Easy Swaps
Easy Food Swaps for Weight Loss and Maintenance
Plain Greek Yogurt:
If a recipe calls for mayo, sour cream or other high fat dairy foods use Plain Greek Yogurt such as Fage, with no sugar.
Use it for:
- Potato Salad
- Taco Night
- Mashed Potato’s instead of butter, milk and sour cream
- Cole Slaw
Nut or other Alternative Milks:
Cashew Milk is great for everything, but if you have a nut allergy, then switch to the following alternatives:
- Hemp Milk- Great Omega 3 and not that sweet
- Rice Milk- Again great alternative with our the sugar or hormone content.
Tofu Cream Cheese
If you love red meat then, here are some great alternatives:
Turkey Meat- Ground Turkey Meat for chili, taco night, lasagna, Italian Turkey Sausage, cook them as you would pork but with same seasoning.
Lentils- they have a rich consistency and can withstand any seasoning, if you mash them into a consistency into a ball it is a great substitute for meatballs.
Chick Peas- once again they can be curried, they can be made into hummus- Greek diet, they also can be made into patties and served as fafel burgers.
Kidney Beans without the pork can be used for an excellent base in chili
Discard any margarine or synthetic sprays, instead use:
- Olive Oil - The ones bought in Italian groceries are the best. Very good for the heart and has Omega 3’s to promote brain health.
- Grape Seed Oil- Great for frying- fafafel balls, or baked chicken.
Simple Carbs: Such as white flour foods
- Whole Grain or Sprout Bread such as Spelt, Whole Wheat Bread
But what about the taste?
- Taste is all about the seasoning and food prep, if you use a lot of salt and sugar in your food, when you taste it again using all natural foods, it tastes completely different.
- Natural salt substitute is vinegar, mild chili peppers
- Any fresh herb such as chives, thyme, oregano, parsley will give you a great flavor over the course of time you would not miss the salt.
- Try other natural blends such as Zatar- which is a mediterrean spice blend, Hungarian smoked paprika that has the flavor of BBQ, or you can always make your own spice blend to suit your taste.