Does Buying in Bulk Really Make Sense???

 Now, that Fashion Night Out is over and we did our makeup values for the season, it's time to start thinking about saving on food for the holidays, game night, play dates, etc.

To me food shopping is extremely exhausting feat, pulling the cart, try to be nice to rude people who cut the butcher or deli lines and then reaching and pulling heavy items, it's a work out.

So, I found this wonderful online site called soap.com for the heavy bulking items, such as vinegar, olive oil, boxed mixes, this site is worth the money and for a certain amount, shipping is free. 

On one purchase, I was able to buy 3 jars of Classico Tomato Sauce, 6 boxes of whole grain pasta, Italian Bread Crumbs, 80 lb. box of pancake mix, olive oil, two 64 ounces of vinegar, 12 cans of soup, 5 boxes of tortillas, the total price is $88.00.

I know you must wonder what in the world would I do with a 80 lb box of pancake mix? 

School and the kids activities are here, I know some churches and Boy and Girl Scout troops that still have pancake breakfasts.

Also, on SOAP.com you can buy muffin and cupcake mixes that are greatly reduced from supermarket prices. These come in handy when you are hosting a Sunday brunch--everyone loves blueberry muffins, and for those birthday parties-- everyone wants cupcakes-- you can buy the plain batter and add your own special add ins or toppings.

On a humanitarian note, you can call a food pantry, and see what there needs are, many food pantries are in need of fresh items-- such as whole grain pasta and reduced sodium tomato sauces, NOT canned foods, actually canned foods are horrible because of the high level of sodium. For further information on childhood hunger in the U.S. check out shareourstrength.org.

Sorry, as I digress, as for veggies, I don't buy in bulk, because I buy fresh and organic and if you buy in large quantities without, cooking and freezing them instantly, they tend to go bad within a week, and that's a waste of money. Local farmers markets have the best buys for in season veggies. Another great alternative is, you can buy frozen organic veggies when they are on sale, and use them as needed, they are great for fall soups and stews.

Another thing, I always buy in bulk, which always comes out cheaper are household items such as: paper goods, napkins, paper plates, toilet paper, dishwashing liquid, laundry detergent, and cleaning supplies. These are always a great buy for me because, I clean A LOT!

Change of Season--also with back to school and work, you can cut down on the frequency of colds and the flu if you maintain a clean environment.

Also, whenever they are on sale I always pick up extra toothpaste, toothbrushes, and mouthwash, that is the worst feeling in the world, next to not having clean clothes, is to realize you ran out of toothpaste. Every two months toothbrushes must be changed, oral health is vital!

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a stockpile, I am not a hoarder, and you won't see me on extreme couponing, but I calculated it one day, that a weekly trip to the supermarket was costing me on average $150.00.

However, when I bought certain items in bulk on soap.com, my weekly purchase price, turned into my monthly purchase price! And the great thing about soap.com, they do not have "club" fees like a BJ's and Costco, and it saves my back and shoulders the pain of lifting and then putting my items in those half boxes and the savings are incredible!

I do go to my local supermarket to buy fresh poultry and fish and my budget for that for the week is under $40.00.

Next time we'll look at the fancy food space online and how you can get great deals, without paying high shipping costs.

Cheers!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 5ive Online Sites

Waterford or Lenox Anyone??

Men's Grooming : Luxury